Consents and refusals
1. What does ‘consent' mean and to what am I consenting?
- Consents are patients' means of influencing how their details are used.
- If you consent to your medical records being used, your details entered in the Patient Data Repository are available for use in your treatment between different service providers in the health service. Thus, the information is available for the use of all healthcare service providers who are already using the Patient Data Repository.
- A consent also covers the information entered after the consent was given. You can cancel or withdraw your consent at any time.
2. Where can I give my consent?
- You can register your consent to your details being disclosed in My Kanta Pages or in the health service with any service provider that has already joined the Patient Data Repository.
- Healthcare units using Patient Data Repository
3. Can I cancel my consent?
- You can cancel your consent at any time in My Kanta Pages or at a healthcare unit.
- If you cancel your consent to disclosing your medical records, your details entered in the Patient Data Repository cannot be shared between different service providers for your treatment.
4. I have given my consent, but my medical records are still not shown?
- A consent to disclose information does not affect its showing in My Kanta Pages. My Kanta Pages shows the medical records after they have been entered in the Patient Data Repository by the healthcare unit.
- See also the answer to question 7 When do my records start to show in My Kanta Pages?
5. How can I refuse to have my details shared between different service providers?
- You can manage your refusals to disclose your medical records in the Suostumus ja kiellot section of My Kanta Pages.
- If you do not use My Kanta Pages, you can register refusals with a healthcare service provider that has already joined the Patient Data Repository.
- If you refuse the disclosure of your medical records, your details entered in the Patient Data Repository cannot be shared between different service providers for your treatment. The records you have refused to disclose can only be seen by the healthcare service provider that entered them, no other unit can see your records.
- You can cancel your refusal at any time in My Kanta Pages or at a healthcare unit.
6. How can I prevent a prescription from showing in healthcare units and pharmacies?
- In the Suostumukset ja kiellot section of the My Kanta pages you can refuse permission for pharmacies and healthcare providers to view your prescriptions. The healthcare professional who wrote the prescription will continue to be able to view the prescription. If a doctor is writing you a prescription for a narcotic or a medicine that mainly affects the central nervous system, they will see any other similar medication prescribed for you even if you have refused permission to view your information.
- If you refuse permission to view your prescription, you will need at the pharmacy a patient instruction or summary sheet about the medicine in question. The pharmacy cannot dispense the medicine without it.
7. Can I make a living will or organ donation testament in My Kanta Pages?
- It is possible to draw up and save your own living will in My Kanta service. The living will section is found under Declarations of intent > Living will.
- However, the living will is not as yet passed on to all healthcare units, and therefore it is advisable to print it out in the service and take it to your healthcare provider in person until further notice.
What can the parent or guardian do in My Kanta Pages on behalf of a minor?
8. Can the guardian enter consents or refusals on the child’s behalf in My Kanta Pages?
- Parents or guardians may enter consents on the child’s behalf in My Kanta Pages and cancel consents they have themselves entered. Guardians cannot set refusals (i.e. refuse disclosure of information in healthcare for the purpose of the child’s treatment).
What can minors themselves do in My Kanta Pages?
9. Can a minor give consents or set refusals in My Kanta Pages?
- A minor cannot give consents or set refusals in My Kanta Pages.