Rights, identification and signing
Professional practice rights are checked against the Terhikki register of the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health Valvira
The user's professional practice rights are verified before accessing Kelain. The service automatically checks the information against Valvira's Terhikki register. Before registration, it is worth ensuring that your information in the register is up-to-date. Instructions on checking the information and rectifying any errors or omissions are available on Valvira's JulkiTerhikki service.
Identification of user and electronic signature
A social and healthcare professional card is used for identifying the user and for electronic signing. The professional cards are issued by the Population Register Centre. Kelain identifies the user on the basis of the card. Kelain identifies the user on the basis of the card. Further information about obtaining a professional card is available from the website of the Population Register Centre.
To use the Kelain service, you need
- a healthcare professional card
- an internet connection
- a card reader for the workstation
- card reader software
Operating systems that support the Kelain service
- Windows 7 SPI or later
- OSX-versiot 10.10 (Yosemite) or later
Kelain can be used with the latest versions of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer (Problems with card reader software DigiSign Client version 4.0.14)
- Google Chrome
- we recommend to purchase the card reader at an expert store selling IT equipment and check compatibility with the sales staff
- the majority of card readers on the market are suitable for this purpose
- ensure that the card reader you purchase bears CE marking.
Card reader software
- at least version 4.0
- the version can be updated on the Population Register Center website
Kela is currently unable to support mobile use of Kelain with all Android devices. The SCS signer application of the Population Register Centre is required for mobile use. There is currently no updated version of the app available, due to which it is not compatible with some Android devices and versions. We are seeking to find a solution to this in cooperation with the authorities.
Mobile use of Kelain on iOS mobile devices (e.g. iPad or iPhone) is not possible because the signer application required for authentication is not available for the operating system in question.
Kelain is used on mobile devices in the browser at www.kelain.fi.
To use Kelain on your mobile device, you need
- an Android phone or tablet
- a separate card reader for mobile devices
- SCS signer application by the Population Register Centre (can be downloaded from Google Play)
- a healthcare professional card for doctors or dentists.
Further information about using various card readers is available, e.g. on the page where you can purchase the SCS signer application of the Population Register Centre. More detailed instructions for downloading the SCS signer application is available in the instructions for use on mobile devices.