Before you start to use Kelain, you need to take account of the following requirements for use.
Professional practice rights
The user's professional practice rights are verified before accessing Kelain. The service automatically checks the information against Valvira's Terhikki register. Before registration, it is worth ensuring that your information in the register is up-to-date. Instructions on checking the information and rectifying any errors or omissions are available on Valvira's JulkiTerhikki service (valvira.fi).
Identification of user and electronic signature
A social and healthcare professional card is used for identifying the user and for electronic signing. The professional cards are issued by the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (prev. PRC). Kelain identifies the user on the basis of the card. Kelain identifies the user on the basis of the card. Further information about obtaining a professional card is available from the website of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. (dvv.fi)
To use the Kelain service, you need
- a healthcare professional card
- an internet connection
- a card reader for the workstation
- card reader software.
Operating systems that support the Kelain service
- Windows 7 SPI or later
- OSX versions 10.10 (Yosemite) or later
Kelain can be used with the latest versions of the following browsers
- Internet Explorer (Problems with card reader software DigiSign Client version 4.0.14)
- Google Chrome
Card reader and card reader software
- we recommend to purchase the card reader at an expert store selling IT equipment and check compatibility with the sales staff
- the majority of card readers on the market are suitable for this purpose
- ensure that the card reader you purchase bears CE marking.
- card reader software: at least version 4.0
- the version can be updated on the Digital and Population Data Services Agency website.
Mobile access means using the Kelain service on a mobile station equipped with a card reader. Kelain can be used on Android mobile devices equipped with a card reader and the SCS signer application of the Population Register Centre. Kelain is used on mobile devices in the browser at www.kelain.fi.
To use Kelain on your mobile device, you need
- an Android phone or tablet
- a separate card reader for mobile devices
- SCS signer application by the Population Register Centre (can be downloaded from Google Play)
- a healthcare professional card for doctors or dentists.
Further information about using various card readers is available, e.g. on the page where you can purchase the SCS signer application of the Population Register Centre. More detailed instructions for downloading the SCS signer application is available in the instructions for use on mobile devices.
The use of Kelain on iOS mobile devices (e.g. iPad or iPhone) is not possible at the moment because the signer application required for authentication is not available for this operating system.