null Information for the public: How to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and what to do if you believe you may be infected
If you are experiencing symptoms similar to a common cold, you should stay at home. If your symptoms worsen or you require medical care, contact a healthcare provider. You can help to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by avoiding contact with other people, working from home and washing your hands carefully.
What to do if you believe you may be infected
- If your symptoms are mild (runny nose, cough, sore throat, muscle pain or a fever), stay home until you are well. Do not call healthcare helplines. That way you can help to ensure that those who are seriously ill get the care they need.
- If your condition worsens and you need medical attention, contact your local healthcare centre or urgent treatment centre. Some municipalities have launched coronavirus helplines. You can also contact the Medical Helpline at 116 117.
- If your symptoms are mild, treat them at home just as you would if you had a common cold. Get rest and drink plenty of fluids.
How to prevent the spread of the coronavirus
- Always wash your hands when you come in from outside as well as before eating, after using the bathroom, after sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose, or after touching common surfaces.
- Whenever possible, communicate by phone or over the internet.
- Work from home if you can. Conduct meetings online.
- Avoid travel and crowded places. Walk or use a bicycle.
- Do not visit elderly people or ask grandparents for childcare help if your children are ill.
- Stay at home even if your symptoms are mild. Use a tissue or cough into your elbow.
- Clean your home carefully by wiping surfaces, door handles, light switches, computer keyboards and remote controls with universal cleaning products.
- Have each family member use their own hand towel and change the towels at least once a week. Use disposable paper towels to dry your hands, at least in the kitchen. Wash towels at 60°C.
Where to get more information
- A national helpline at 0295 535 535 provides general information about the coronavirus. It is open Monday to Friday between 8:00 and 21:00 and on Saturday between 9:00 and 15:00. Please note that the helpline does not provide health advice or information on how to deal with acute symptoms.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 – Latest updates from the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare
- Q&A about travelling and the virus responsible for COVID-19, Ministry for Foreign Affairs (um.fi) (in Finnish)
- Workplace guidelines for preventing the spread of the coronavirus, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (ttl.fi) (partly in Finnish)
- Preparedness for the novel coronavirus disease, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (stm.fi)