null Is your organisation ready for the new Client Data Act?
The Client Data Act for social welfare and healthcare services will be reformed in spring 2021. The Ministry is advising social welfare and healthcare organisations and information system suppliers to prepare themselves for rapid implementation of the Act. In the first stage, the preparations will apply to changes in data sharing.
If the new Act on electronic processing of client data in social welfare and healthcare services is adopted, it will bring changes to the sharing of data in the Kanta Services. Client data is shared automatically between healthcare units and from one social welfare organisation to another unless the client refuses to consent to the data sharing.
In addition, the new Client Data Act will have an impact on recording of data in social welfare services and on the possibility of wider use of clients’ own wellbeing and activity data.
Bill presented to Parliament in autumn, training in November
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (STM) emphasises that the change in data sharing requires rapid implementation. In the first stage, information systems will be updated to correspond to the changes brought by the Act. Healthcare organisations will deploy the updated systems and provide training on the new procedures to their employees. The transition period will also be facilitated by new features to be introduced in My Kanta Pages, as well as Kela's temporary interface for professionals for entering information provisions and consent refusals.
According to the current estimate, the bill will be presented to Parliament in autumn 2020. Kela and the Finnish institute for health and welfare (THL) will arrange training events for social welfare and healthcare services during November and produce extensive guidance material for the use of social welfare and healthcare organisations.
- Autumn 2020: The bill is submitted to Parliament. Parliament decides on passing the bill.
- November 2020: Kela and THL arrange training to social welfare and healthcare services concerning changes in sharing processes.
- January 2021: Social welfare and healthcare professionals start to provide new information to clients in addition to the provision of old information. Clients are also informed in My Kanta Pages.
- April 2021: New Client Data Act is due to enter into force on 1 April 2021.
The deployment schedule of the act will be updated if there are any changes to the legislation process or the bill.
Kela is responsible for producing the communication and information material for clients in My Kanta Pages, the kanta.fi web service and for the use of social welfare and healthcare professionals.
- Press release of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, 4 August 2020: Government Bill on the Client Data Act: Kanta-arkiston sisältö laajenee sosiaalihuollon tiedoilla ja hyvinvointitiedoilla (The contents of the Kanta archive will be extended with the social welfare data and wellbeing data) (stm.fi, in Finnish)
- Impacts of the Client Data Act on data sharing
- Contact details for social welfare and healthcare organisations and system developers