The Client Data Act came into force on 1.11.2021. The changes specified in the Client Data Act will be implemented within the transition periods.
Changes to data sharing
- Sharing of prescription data with wellbeing applications 1.12.2022
- Withdrawal of consents in cross-border prescriptions 1.1.2023
- Sharing of client data within the social service between different controllers 1.1.2023
- Sharing of patient data with wellbeing applications 1.12.2023
- Comprehensive denial of consent to data sharing in social welfare and healthcare services 1.1.2024
- Denial of consent concerning a private occupational healthcare register 1.1.2024
- Sharing of client and patient data between health and social services 1.1.2024
- Sharing of wellbeing data with professionals 1.1.2024
- Sharing of client data with wellbeing applications 1.5.2025
Changes concerning social welfare services
Social welfare services will join the Kanta Services
The reformed Client Data Act obliges all public enablers of social welfare services to join the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services. Private enablers of social welfare services must also join Kanta if they are using an information system for the purpose of the processing of client and patient data.
The social services will deploy the Kanta Services within the transition periods.
- Public social welfare service providers and private service providers operating for public social welfare services must join by 1.9.2024 at the latest.
- Private social welfare service providers must join by 1.1.2026 at the latest.
Schedules for the entry of client documents in social welfare services
Public social services and enablers operating on behalf of them must start the entry of client documents in social welfare services in the national archiving service as follows:
- Documents created in the service task for families with children, working-age people and older people by 1.9.2024
- Documents created in the service task of child protection by 1.3.2025 at the latest
- Client documents created in the service task of services for people with disabilities by 1.9.2025 at the latest
- Client documents created in the service task of services for substance abusers by 1.3.2026 at the latest
- Client documents created in the service task of family law services by 1.9.2026 at the latest
Entry in national information system services of client documents that are created in private social welfare service based on an agreement between the service provider and the client must be started as follows:
- Documents created in the service task of services for families with children, working-age people, older people and people with disabilities by 1.1.2026
- Documents created in the service task of services for substance abusers by 1.3.2026 at the latest.
Entry of video and audio recordings created in service tasks of social services must be started by 1.10.2029 at the latest.
Documents are entered in a structured way
As a result of the legislative reform, client documents are entered in the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services in a structured format. Structured entry requires that the client data system of the social services organisation supports the second-stage functionalities of the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services.
THL will issue a regulation on the schedule of entering structured documents in autumn 2021.
- THL’s regulation on the schedule for structured document entry currently on comments (thl.fi, in Finnish)
Client data in social welfare services to be available in My Kanta Pages
As a result of the new Client Data Act, social welfare services data will become available to view by the client in My Kanta Pages. The data will be available in My Kanta Pages at the latest when the obligation of social welfare services to join the Kanta Services begins.
Changes concerning health services
Health services, Patient Data Repository on 1.10.2026 at the latest
- Appointment document on health service appointments booked for and notified to the client
- Documents and laboratory test results related to imaging studies created in screening studies
- Certificates and forms related to fitness to drive
- Certificates and forms related to accidents and occupational disease reports
- Doctor’s certificate on the state of health (T certificate)
- Medical certificate (TOD)
- Medical certificate C
- Death certificates. (New subsection 8)
Entry of documents related to imaging studies by 1.10.2029 at the latest
- Radiation exposure data
- Video and audio recordings and photographs
- Pathology imaging materials
- Images entered by oral healthcare units
- Other images: drawings and illustrations