The accessibility of the online service has been assessed by an external accessibility expert. The statement was uppdated on 18 June 2021.
Alternative contact methods
If you are unable to deal with your issue online, you can call Kela's telephone service or visit a service point.
How accessible is the online service?
The service meets the critical accessibility requirements and largely the A- and AA-level accessibility criteria required by law (WCAG Criteria 2.1).
Users may still experience some accessibility issues with the site. The following is a list of issues of which we are aware. If you notice a problem with the site that is not listed, please let us know.
Contents or functions not yet fully accessible:
- Stock illustrations incorrectly have text alternatives on the pages Home, Instructions and services, and Prescription, although alt texts are not required for stock illustrations (WCAG 1.1.1)
- Icons defining the link are not readable by web tools. (WCAG 1.1.1 and WCAG 2.4.4)
- On some pages, several file links lack information about the file format (pdf, xls, doc), or it is not part of the link text. This is the case e.g. on the Deployment Phase page. (WCAG 1.1.1 and WCAG 2.4.4)
- Pull quotes outlined in green on content pages do not stand out from body text. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- When using the menu with the keyboard, the focus shifts to another content area at the end of the menu, even if the menu is still open. (WCAG 1.3.2)
- The menu focus order is not logical. After opening the menu, the cursor moves to the Kanta logo and the My Kanta Pages link before the menu contents (WCAG 1.3.2)
- The white text on top of the images is sometimes difficult to read. (WCAG 1.4.3)
- The colour of the link text does not stand out from the background well enough after the link is clicked. (WCAG 1.4.3)
- The page headings do not show which user group section the user is in. (WCAG 2.4.2)
- The materials order form and feedback form contain several accessibility and usability issues (WCAG 1.3.1, WCAG 1.4.3, and WCAG 2.4.4):
- The section where the delivery address is given is difficult to use, as it is not enough to fill in the fields, but the Add button must also be pressed.
- The contrast of the text on the Remove Delivery Address button is insufficient.
- The page has a table layout, which makes it difficult to use the page with a screen reader.
- Autocomplete of fields is not supported on the Order Material form or the Give Feedback and Ask form. (WCAG 1.3.5)
- On forms, the contrast between the edges of the input fields and the background is insufficient. (WCAG 1.4.11)
- Field-specific error messages on forms are not connected to input fields. (WCAG 3.3.1)
- The Give Feedback and Ask page incorrectly uses label elements also in textual content. (WCAG 3.3.2 and 1.3.1)
- On the Order Material page, the number of pieces fields cannot be filled in, but the number can only be increased using the arrow keys in batches of 100. This is difficult to understand when using tools. (WCAG 3.3.2)
- The Send button is not activated until all required fields have been filled out. (WCAG 3.3.3)
- The asterisk indicating a required field is not explained in text format. (WCAG 3.3.3)
- The link text does not stand out from the background well enough, and the link text differs from the link style of the rest of the site. (WCAG 1.4.1)
- The pictorial statistics linked on the Statistics page do not have adequate alt texts, only file names that are difficult to understand.. (WCAG 1.1.1 and WCAG 1.4.5)
- The release schedule page has several shortcomings (WCAG 1.1.1 and 1.4.5):
- Image links are missing alt texts.
- The tables are presented in pictorial or pdf format, which are not accessible.
- The publication schedule is currently being revised.
- TH elements on tables are not used on all pages to mark headings. On some pages, several tables are grouped together in one table. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- The tables are currently being repaired.
- Some of the attachments are not accessible. They are currently being repaired.
We aim to repair the deficiencies listed above by 30 September 2021.
Content not accessible due to unreasonable burden
Some contents or functions are not accessible because repairing them would be an unreasonable burden on Kela.
Kanta.fi has accessibility problems in various parts of the service, particularly forms. The shortcomings are listed above. Repairing them before 23 September 2020 would be an unreasonable burden on Kela, as the necessary maintenance work must be carried out on the service before it is technically possible to make accessibility repairs. We aim to address the deficiencies listed above by 30 September 2021.
Accessibility requirements do not apply to certain contents
The following is a list of contents on our site that are not subject to accessibility legislation.
Our website contains
- videos released before 23 September 2020. These videos lack subtitles and audio description. There are such videos also on the Kanta Services YouTube channel.
- Accessibility requirements do not apply to videos released before 23 September 2020.
- files published before 23 September 2018.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to files published before 23 September 2018 and that do not concern clients' rights and obligations.
- tables that do not adapt to the terminal device. Using tables requires scrolling them horizontally.
- links to external websites, the accessibility of which has not been assessed by Kela.
Give feedback on accessibility
Did you notice an accessibility problem in our service? Please let us know so we can do our best to fix the problem.
Processing of accessibility feedback is coordinated by the Customer Development Unit and IT customer support.
If you notice accessibility issues on the site, please provide feedback in the first instance to us, the webmasters. We will respond within 2 weeks.
If you are not satisfied with the answer you have received or if you do not receive a reply within 2 weeks, you can notify the Regional State Administrative Agency of Southern Finland. The website of the Regional State Administrative Agency of Southern Finland explains in detail how you can make a complaint and how the matter will be dealt with.
Contact details of the monitoring authority
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility Monitoring Unit
- website saavutettavuusvaatimukset.fi
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone (switchboard): 0295 016 000
We are constantly working to improve accessibility
We will update this statement as and when we correct any problems.
We are committed to improving the accessibility of the online services. We ensure accessibility by measures like the following:
- We take accessibility requirements into account when developing services.
- We invest in the intelligibility of language. The language of online content is checked prior to publication.
- We take accessibility into account in internal practices (e.g. guidelines, testing, and definitions).
- We take accessibility requirements into account as early as the procurement stage.
- We provide accessibility training for our employees.