The Client Data Act, which entered into force at the end of 2021, allows for the sharing of social welfare client data from the client data archive between social welfare service providers as of 1 January 2023.
The sharing of client data with another service provider requires that the client has been informed of the Kanta Services and that the client has given their consent to data sharing. In addition, the client must have an active client relationship with the service provider.
The client has the right to prohibit their service provider from sharing their personal client data with another service provider from the customer data archive in social welfare services. The client can submit a denial of consent through the My Kanta Services or when visiting social welfare services.
The consent and the denial of consent to data sharing are stored in the system for issuing declarations of intent.
Operative change and key outcomes
In the current situation, the data in the client data archive of social welfare services is used exclusively by the service provider. The goal is for the client data archive to support the sharing of client data between social welfare service providers.
The change allows for the availability of client data where it is necessary for the planning or organising of client service provision.
With the change, client data will be widely accessible and available for utilisation, which will streamline the client's service process and make the work processes of professionals more efficient. The change brings data processing into compliance with the requirements of the legislation.
What the change requires from the client
Client organisations must prepare for an operative change, and the organisation must have a client data system in place in which the functionality required for data sharing searches has been implemented.
Client data systems include
- Kanta information management (verification and record of the delivery of Kanta information)
- functionalities required for the processing of social welfare data sharing consents and denials of consent (management of denial of consent)
- data sharing search and management of client data obtained through data sharing.
Social welfare service providers may take the data sharing search functionality into use after 01/2023, and the functionalities must be in use by 1 September 2024, which is the deadline for fulfilling the obligation to join.
More information about the definitions
- The Kanta Services handbook for social services actors contains: Sharing of client data (yhteistyotilat.fi, in Finnish)
- Sosmeta - Document structures - Denial of consent document (sosmeta.thl.fi, in Finnish)
- Sosmeta - Document structures - Consent to data sharing document (sosmeta.thl.fi, in Finnish)
- Definitions of the client data archive of social welfare services
- Sharing of data through the Kanta Services