In the Kanta online school, you can update your knowledge of how healthcare and social welfare data are shared. You are free to explore the different sections of the online school at your own pace!
This page provides information about the provision of Kanta information. On the pages below, you can read more about data sharing and how clients and patients can influence how their data is shared.
What is ‘Information about the Kanta Services’?
Information about the Kanta Services means providing the client with information on the Kanta Services and on how their data is being processed in healthcare and social welfare services. This information is provided because the client has the right to know about the use of their client and patient data and about any changes in the way their data is processed.
'Information about the Kanta Services’ is not consent to data sharing.
What does the provision of information about the Kanta Services affect?
Once the client has received the notification of the new information about the Kanta Services, they can influence the use of their data on the My Kanta Pages or in connection with contact with their healthcare provider
- by giving their consent to the sharing of data stored in the Kanta Services also with other wellbeing services counties and between public and private healthcare providers in connection with their treatment
- by setting denials of consent to data sharing.
Once the client has received the information about the Kanta Services, their patient data will be available to public healthcare service providers anywhere in the Uusimaa region in connection with treatment. Read more about data sharing within Uusimaa.
A client’s data can be entered in the Kanta Services even if they have not received the latest information about the Kanta Services.
The client can acknowledge the provided information about the Kanta Services themselves on the My Kanta Pages
If the client has not already confirmed the receipt of the latest ‘Information about the Kanta Services’ notification, it will automatically open once they have logged in to the My Kanta Pages. It has been possible to acknowledge receipt of the latest version of Kanta information since 22 November 2022.
On the My Kanta Pages, you can also acknowledge the receipt of information about the Kanta Services on behalf of another person.
The client can confirm receipt of the information about the Kanta Services also in connection with contact with the healthcare service
The client can also receive information about the Kanta Services in connection with contact with the healthcare services, as the function for providing information is deployed in the healthcare patient information systems. In this case, the professional indicates that the information has been provided in the patient information system, from where the information is then stored in the Kanta Services.
In social services, the obligation to provide information starts when the service provider has joined the Kanta Services and data sharing within the sector is enabled.
How do I inform the client of the information provided about the Kanta Services?
A healthcare professional can provide the client with the information about the Kanta Services
- in writing, for example, by giving the client a brochure leaflet that provides them information on the use of their data
- Kanta services and use of client data in healthcare and social welfare services (pdf)
- all language versions can be downloaded at kanta.fi.
- via online services.
In this video, we will explain how social welfare and healthcare professionals can provide clients with Kanta information:
Read more about the different versions of Kanta information and the differences between them
The table shows the versions of Kanta information that the client may have received on the My Kanta Pages.
The newest Kanta-information explains
- which data concerning the client is saved in the Kanta Services
- how the data may be used in the healthcare and social welfare service and in pharmacies
- how the data may be shared in the healthcare and social welfare service and in pharmacies
- the registers of the wellbeing services counties and the utilisation of data within them
- the disclosure of data between the wellbeing services counties
- on the temporary right of access to information in the region of Uusimaa
- how the client can have a say in the sharing of their data.
|Version||Release date||Status||Changes from previous version|
|Kanta information 1.1 (pdf)||22 November 2022||Valid||Start of the operation of the wellbeing services counties and temporary right of access to information in the region of Uusimaa.|
|Kanta information 1.0 (pdf)||1 November 2021||Valid until 21 November 2022||First version of Kanta information.|
Legislation governs data sharing
The Act on the Electronic Processing of Client Data in Healthcare and Social Welfare (the Client Data Act) and the Act on Electronic Prescriptions (the Prescription Act) govern the sharing of client and patient data via the Kanta Services and determine, for example, how clients can influence the sharing of their data.
The acts also determine the operating methods and models in the healthcare and welfare services and pharmacies.