Showing of data to a parent or guardian of a child over 10 years of age in My Kanta Pages will be possible once the healthcare organisation in question has made the necessary modifications in the patient data system. The modifications will proceed in accordance with the decisions of individual healthcare organisations.
A minor is able to control whether their data can be viewed by their parent or guardian in My Kanta Pages.
- If a healthcare professional assesses the minor to be mature enough to decide on their own medical care, the minor has the right to refuse the showing of data related to the appointment to their parent or guardian.
- The maturity assessment is made during each appointment on the basis of, e.g. the child’s age, level of maturity and the reason for the appointment.
- A minor is not able to refuse the showing of all data to their parent or guardian as the decision and maturity assessment is made separately during every appointment.
You can ask your own healthcare provider when a parent or guardian is able to act on behalf of all minors in My Kanta Pages.
How can you act on behalf of a minor in My Kanta Pages?
When acting on behalf of a child, the parent or guardian
- logs in to My Kanta Pages with their own username and password
- Click the link Toisen puolesta asionti / Sköta ärenden för någon annan
- selects the child whose data they would like to view.
The right of a parent or guardian to view the child’s data is verified from the Population Information System. Acting on behalf of a minor is based on custody. It is not possible to act with a mandate on behalf of a minor.
In My Kanta Pages, a parent or guardian can do the following on behalf of a minor:
- view prescriptions and health data
- request a repeat prescription
- acknowledge receipt of information concerning the Kanta Services
- give consents concerning the Kanta Services.
It is not possible to acknowledge receipt of information or give or cancel consents on behalf of a newborn until the child’s name has been registered in the Population Information System.
Old data that has been entered in My Kanta Pages after the child's 10th birthday, but before the change now taking place in the healthcare patient data systems, will not be shown to the parent or guardian in the future, either.
In My Kanta Pages, with respect to old data, only data that has been entered on a minor before their 10th birthday is shown to the parent or guardian (as from 1 August 2016).
Acting on behalf of a minor in pharmacies and in the healthcare service
A parent or guardian can act on behalf of a minor with respect to all of their matters in pharmacies and healthcare services. They can also request to view and get a copy of the patient records of a minor unless this has been forbidden by the minor who is capable of making a decision.
A parent or guardian has the right to act on behalf of a minor on the basis of the custody relationship. If a parent or guardian is acting on behalf of a child at a pharmacy without the child’s Kela card or patient instruction sheet, the custody relationship will be verified from the Suomi.fi authorisation service with the consent of the parent or guardian.
The identity of the parent or guardian must be verified and the parent or guardian must provide the child’s personal identity code.
Why is a child’s data not shown in My Kanta Pages?
If a child’s data is not shown in My Kanta Pages, the reason could be that
- a maturity assessment has not been entered in the records of 10 to 17 year old minors because it is not yet possible in the patient data system of the healthcare organisation in question.
- showing of the data to a parent or guardian has been blocked because a minor has been assessed by the healthcare services to be mature enough to decide for their own care in terms of the care episode in question.
- showing of data has been delayed in the healthcare service.
In addition, it is not possible to act on behalf of a child in My Kanta Pages if the Kanta Services is unable to automatically verify the right to act on their behalf. These situations may arise if
- a guardian has been appointed for the parent or guardian him/herself.
- the child or one of the other parents or guardians has a non-disclosure for personal safety reasons.
- there is an agreement or order concerning the child's shared care or control with regard to other than the child’s residential arrangements.
It is advisable to check this data in the Population Information System in the Digtal and Population Data Services Agency (suomi.fi).
Acting on behalf of a minor and joint custody
Until further notice, parents or guardians with a note recorded in the Population Information System concerning shared parental responsibilities are not able to act on the child’s behalf in My Kanta Pages.
However, the Population Information System is being upgraded. In future, the authorities will record information about joint custody in the Population Information System so that My Kanta Pages can utilise the data and show it to parents or guardians according to their rights. This is estimated to be possible towards the end of 2021.
The change concerns only new joint custody agreements, which have been drawn up after the new type of recording in the Population Information System is possible. Child supervisors will enter old custody agreements in the Population Information System in the new way only on specific request.