Kanta services will soon be a routine part of the work for every social welfare professional.
Social welfare services client data stored in Kanta
- is easily available for use by social welfare professionals
- can be viewed by the client in MyKanta
- is stored securely.
- utilise Kanta in your work
- guide customers in the use of MyKanta.
Client Data Act obliges social welfare professionals to join Kanta
The Client Data Act expands the use of the Kanta services in social welfare. Public and private social welfare service providers will start using the Kanta services within the transitional periods defined in the act.
Social welfare services client data in MyKanta
Clients are able to view in MyKanta the social welfare client data stored about them in the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services. This improves their opportunities to participate in managing their affairs.
Data starts to show in MyKanta in stages as social welfare service providers make the necessary changes to their client data systems.
- The Kanta Services handbook for social services: MyKanta (yhteistyotilat.fi, in Finnish)
- Guidance on the use of MyKanta
Functionalities of the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services
The functionalities of the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services have so far been developed in phases.
Functionalities required for compliance with the obligation to join Kanta Services under the Client Data Act
In order for social welfare service providers to meet the requirements of the Client Data Act, they must have implemented functionalities that comply with the social welfare service providers’ obligation to join Kanta.
An information system that complies with the obligation to join supports
- the sharing of social welfare client data within the social welfare services
- phase 2 functionalities.
Social welfare service providers will be able to introduce the new functionalities as soon as the necessary changes have been made to their client information systems. Public service providers and private service providers acting on behalf of public-sector provider must have the functionalities in place as specified in the obligation to join by 1 September 2024.
Phase 2 functionalities of the archive improve the accessibility of data
The phase 2 functionalities of the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services are:
- register access right of social welfare services
- recording of structured documents
- processing of mutual cases
- electronic signature of professionals
- processing of data that is subject to personal data access restriction.
Data security and sharing of data
Client data in social welfare services can be viewed and used only when the data is needed in the management of the client’s affairs. When the data is viewed in the client data archive for social welfare services, it will always leave a trace. Log data is used in order to monitor that the data is used lawfully.
Sharing of social welfare data
Client data stored in the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services is always available to the controller who stored it. If client data is retrieved from another social welfare data controller’s data file, this constitutes data sharing for which client consent is required.
However, consent is not required in situations where social welfare service providers and authorities have the right to obtain information under the Client Data Act.
- Sharing of data through the Kanta services
- Consent and denials of consent to data sharing in social welfare services
Common operating models and recording
The healthcare and social welfare service providers using the Kanta Services comply with harmonised national operating models and methods. These include, e.g. harmonised recording practices, procedures in accordance with the self-monitoring plan in everyday tasks, principles of using and sharing data, and ensuring the functioning of Kanta Services in change situations.
- National operating models
- Structures and data contents of client documents: Specifications for client data in social welfare services (thl.fi, in Finnish)
- Functional specifications for the provision of social welfare services (thl.fi, in Finnish)
In the process of deploying the Client Data Archive for Social Welfare Services?
Information about the deployment materials.